Pages

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Standing Bosc

Standing Bosc, 3 x 5 inches, oil on panel. Click here to purchase this painting for $150.

What do these little paintings mean? You've probably seen the abundance of daily painting blogs, and I wonder sometimes why a painting would get painted. For Duane Keiser or Mick McGinty, their aesthetic seems to be one of renewing the everyday object by depicting it in paint. For Neil Hollingsworth, I think it's amazing that he does those paintings so quickly! They're gorgeous, compact, and intense.

I'm warming up, in paint. I'm singing "Do Re Mi" while I'm working on another idea. Each of my little paintings is a spark of an idea for another painting, and a way for me to figure out how to get more voice in there.

I used to think that the painter should disappear behind the painting - should not be apparent. Now, I think the painter's voice should come through, the same way it would in a song.

I'm not very concerned if these studies sell - though I am tickled when they do! I just need need need to paint them. The act of observing the object in life, and getting them down in paint, and feeling like Yes, That is my pear! This is me singing.

No comments: