Pages

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Spring flowers

5 x 7, oil on panel. This painting is available for sale. Please email me at lisagloria@gmail.com to inquire.

If anyone know what kind of flower these are, could you post it in a comment or email me? They are about 4-5 inches tall. That large leaf behind the front one is part of the plant, or I'd think it was a crocus. EDIT: It's a bloodroot - thanks Dave B! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodroot

So, Lipking's workshop is coming up, and the materials list says titanium white. I haven't used titanium white in years and years... So I thought I'd give it a try. Loved it! I always think of it as opaque and indelicate, but I must have been using it wrong. It's very sensitive.

8 comments:

Christine Mercer-Vernon said...

lovely painting. where did you find these flowers? in the woods...is it one big leave on a long thing stem? they look like what we call may apples. i'd have to see a photo to be sure though.

lisagloria said...

I found them in my neighbor's flower bed! LOL. I'd never heard of a mayapple before, but they sure look cool. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Mayapple These were lots smaller, but I see the similarities. Thanks for posting!

Dave B said...

Bloodroot. It's one of the first of the spring flowers. It's called that because of the root, who'd have guessed, that is a reddish color. At one time it was believed to be good for the blood too. I've been trying to find time to do one of these too.

lisagloria said...

Hooray!!! Thanks Dave! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodroot

Mark Bridges said...

Hi Gloria. I was wondering if there were two things you wanted to take away from Jeremy's workshop, if any.

lisagloria said...

thanks, that's a great topic for a post. Let me think on it a bit.

and you can just call me Lisa if you like. ;-)

Christine Mercer-Vernon said...

ooo, i never heard of bloodroot! what part of the country are you in?

lisagloria said...

We're about 25 miles west of Chicago, zone 5. It's 70 degrees here today - time for me to get outside and prune something I think!